Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:55:23 -0400
From:      "ROTHENBERG, MICHAEL" <MROTHENBERG@exchange1.PRIA.com>
To:        'Mark Hummel' <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-questions' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: HELP! I made the same mistake!!!(Michael Rothenberg)

Heh heh. I had to turn off my machine with out shutdown. This is not a good
thing to do and I was worried I might loose something. However, this box is
pretty new and I had just done a reboot so I knew I probably wouldn't loose
a whole lot.

When I turned it on again I went into single user mode by hitting the prompt
for the manager and then doing boot -s. This only mounts / as read only so x
cant start and lock you into that nifty graphical login underworld.

After that I manually mounted the various file systems. Or I might have done
fsck before mounting everything. I cant remember. fsck should be able to fix
up your drives and sync them. If I remember correctly, after fsck was done
it made me reboot and I started the single user mode again.

After mounting everything by hand I was able to edit /etc/ttys and remove
the edits that caused the trouble.

Anyway, that's how I fixed it. It might not be the right way, but it did
work for me this 1 time. I had tried all the regular stuff: esc, ^c, ^d, ^x,
^z, ^alt bksp (or what ever that special X kill combo is from Complete Fbsd
), logging in as the prompt says, and banging on the keyboard. None of that
stuff worked. If there is some other key combo I should have tried let me
know }:)

-Michael