Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:25:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

In message <20010218233916.J28286@lizzy.bugworks.com> Jos Backus writes:
: [This is rapidly turning into a bikeshed...]

It is perfect bikeshed material.

: > That, along with the unmaintainability of the software fails to convince me
: > it is a viable replacement for BIND.
:
: Again, what's there to maintain? Fix bugs/security problems?

It is a showstopper to have readonly code in the tree.  That has been
FreeBSD's policy for a long time.  If there's a security bug, we'd be
prevented from fixing it until the author could be contacted and he
produces a fix, that's unacceptible.  We'd be prevented from even
fixing a #include name that the author somehow got wrong.

The author is also an jerk to deal with, that's strike two.  He's at
least two orders of magnituded harder to deal with than any other
author of software we have in the tree.

In short, I don't care if djbdns is better than bind, it won't go into
the tree because of these problems.  The license and author combined
make it a showstopper.

Warner