Date:      27 Aug 1999 16:31:02 -0500
From:      Soren Dayton <dayton@overx.com>
To:        Scott Michel <scottm@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring fetch for Squid

Scott Michel <scottm@CS.UCLA.EDU> writes:

I'm sorry. I should have indicated that I did indeed RTFM.

> setenv FTP_PROXY host.name.net:port

Hmmm.  It doesn't work.  And I don't think its supposed to.  First,
the failure:

        polo% FTP_PROXY=mecca:3128 fetch ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/
        fetch: mecca: connection in wrong state

        polo% HTTP_PROXY=mecca:3128 fetch http://www.freebsd.org/
        fetch: : fopen: No such file or directory

mecca reports getting a connection:

tcp        0      0  mecca.3128             polo.1040              ESTABLISHED

For comparative purposes, note that for lynx, it JUST works.

        http_proxy=http://mecca.overx.com:3128/ lynx http://www.zsh.org/
        ftp_proxy=http://mecca.overx.com:3128/ lynx ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/

Either I'm misreading the code or fetch is pretending that the proxy
is kind of ftp like rather than http like.  And there is no way to
configure this protocol information with fetch.  Of course, that it
doesn't work for the HTTP_PROXY case indicates that something else may
be going on.

Is this evaluation of what's going on correct?

Thanks
Soren