Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:36:50 +0300
From:      Plamen Petkov <plamendp@techno-link.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Active partition problem - bootin in FreeBSD set it to "non-bootable"

Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Plamen Petkov wrote:
>
> > I'll try to be short:
> >
> > Every time I reboot (BootEasy, FSBD on prim. slave disk;
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Problem here -- make sure you install BootEasy on the primary master disk.
> It doesn't do any good to put it on the slave.  DOS or something may be
> noticing the improper active bit on the second disk and rearranging it.

Well, perhaps you are right. But it was about Master Disk active partition -
the one wich flag was cleared to 0, not the slave.

Well, Let me clear what I did (some history needed):

After encountering the "active partition flag cleared" problem.... i.e.

loop:
    (re)boot
    booteasy  menu
    press F5->boot FBSD->Boot: prompt -> successfull FreeBSD boot
    reboot (# reboot)
    active partition cleared "somehow"
    BIOS msg "Not Found Any Active Partition - insert system disk"
    Ctl-Alt-Del -> boot clean DOS from floppy
    fdisk "set Master Disk Primary DOS partition 'active'"
    goto loop

... I reboot in clean DOS from floppy and used a "fdisk /mbr". Now my computer
'forgot' (no booteasy) abt the second (slave) disk and happily boot the W95.
No problema. Active partition problem disappeared. Realy.

Then....I  bootinst the boot.bin from 2.2.2-R CDROM on the Prim. Master &&
Slave!!! disks (the original situation was with booteasy installed on the
MASTER ONLY)

At this moment:

    (re)boot
    booteasy menu
    Press F5 - FreeBSD -> go to booteasy menu from Slave Disk
label:
    Press F1- FreeBSD - excpecting  "Boot:"  promt
    NO Boot: prompt, instead booteasy menu just redisplayed
    if Press F5 - DOS -> back to Master Disk booteasy menu
       booteasy menu  from Master Disk
       if press F1 -DOS -> successfull W95 boot
       if Press F5-FreeBSD -> goto

BTW, once you reched the "label:" above (i.e. just TRY to boot freebsd), the
"active partition cleared" problem is there again at the next reboot. :-(
Funny...

Huh... I hope this make sense to you... too long msg...

Waiting for questions :-)

--
== REMOVE NOSPAM. ==
Plamen D. Petkov