Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:04:25 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Carmody <carmoda@interfaceergonomics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stuffed up rc.conf

On Tuesday, 23 April 2002 at 17:17:44 +1000, Anthony Carmody wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have stuffed up my rc.conf file and am recieveing an error during
> boot [syntax]. I have been able to find it when i go into the defult
> shell [sh], however I cannot replace or edit it because I am not
> root/wheel.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're saying here.  If you boot single user
and start the default shell, you *are* root.

> Is there a way of replacing the file with a default or over riding
> it, or su -ing to root somehow from the deafult shell?

I suspect your problem is that your root file system is mounted
read-only.  You need to mount it read-write first:

  # mount -u /

If you have a separate /usr file system, you'll need to mount it too
in order to use most editors.

If this isn't the answer to your problem, please describe in more
detail what you have done.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.