Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:41:59 +1100
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@nu.org>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   firewall, ipnat

I am currently using an old 386 as a dialout firewall using picoBSD, a
(slightly modified) dial configuration and some ipfw rules.

(My wife uses MS Win98 behind this machine, and I don't trust MS
software, hence pBSD...)

The firewall has 8M of memory, and I'd rather not use any of the 40M
hard disk, which is dedicated to MS WFW311 when the network is
disconnected.  I currently boot off a floppy and leave the hard disk
alone.

I can't find any way to tell IE5 on MSW98 to use passive ftp, and I
want to keep the firewall rules as tight as possible, so it looks like
I need some sort of FTP proxy.  (My ISP doesn't seem to have a visible
FTP proxy I can use, although I could ask further.  I'd also rather
avoid reliance on 3rd parties, as much as possible.)

Currently I run ipfw on the firewall, but am considering a change to
ipf and ipnat, since ipnat appears to have a builtin ftp proxy which
is ipf-friendly.

So what is this to all you?

1) Has anybody used ipf/ipnat with picoBSD?

2) How much disk space did you need beyond basic pBSD?

3) Did your configuration work?

4) Any suggestions?

--
Christopher Vance