Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 1995 22:27:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        nate@sneezy.sri.com
Cc:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de, current@freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Backup of 32bit dev entries

> > > Maybe, but dump once long ago could handle trees too. hence I tried it anyway.
> >
> > Your dreaming!!!  Even V6 dump was file systems at a time!
>

> I remember using dump

Just for you I went out in the Garage and dug out the V7 manual (my V6 copy
is buried in boxes some place unknown) and:

DUMP(1M)	UNIX Programmer's Manual		DUMP (1M)

NAME
	dump - incremental file system dump

SYNOPSIS
	\Bdump\N [ key [ argument ...] filesystem ]

DESCRIPTION
	Dump copies to magnetic tape all files changed after a certain
	date in the filesystem.

[Note, the word ``filesystem'' in the desciption appears in italics meaning
the are talking about the arg to the command.]

You have a bad memory, or are confusing another OS with Unix.  Dump has
always been a file system based tool, and has always worked with raw disk
devices to read the filesystem with.  I could probably dig out the V5
source tape if we want to go farther back in history.