Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 17:53:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dayton Clark <dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   -current, goliath, smp -- problems

Folks,

I tired of people saying how good stable -current is ;-).

I've had a system w/4 PPro 200 on a goliath motherboard for about a year
now.  It's had some hardware problems, but I believe those are fixed now.
It runs multiprocessor Solaris and NT without a hitch but what I really want
to run is FreeBSD SMP (this message is appropriate for current also).  Alas,
the fates are against me.  Lack of time on my part is the main reason I
haven't made more progress, but I've had enough time recently to get *some*
evidence about what's going wrong.

I will pick away at the problem, as time permits, and I hope you all have
some insights on how I might proceed, or (hope, hope) perhaps someone knows
just what the problem is.

The system:
	Motherboard	AMI Goliath EISA & PCI busses
	Chipset		450GX
	Processor	4X PPRO 200
	Cache		256K
	Memory		64M
	Disk		Adaptec 2940w 4G, 8x cdrom
	Video		ATI Mach 32
	OS		FreeBSD-current SNAP-971203 (also some Sept snap).

The problems:
	There are three problems I'm having the first two are sporadic and
	typcially disappear on when repeated.  They also occur only with the
	SMP kernel (the generic smp kernel except NCPU=4), I believe.  I
	suspect that the first two are related.

    o	Commands (e.g., ls, mv) die with error code = 0.  A message is
	printed on stderr, perhaps by the shell, stating that the process
	died with error code 0.  Repeat it and it usually works.

    o	When I try a large make (make world or making emacs) programs will
	disappear, i.e. make all of a sudden can't find cc or rm (after many
	successful uses of the command).  Repeat the make and it will
	continue.

    o	Emacs doesn't work at all and I can't do much without emacs 8-).
	The emacs from the packages distribution hangs.  I brought over
	emacs 20.2 it dereferences a null pointer in malloc_internal().  I
	compiled 19.34 in /usr/ports and it gets a segment violation in
	malloc_internal() but at a different location.  This happens with
	both the UP and SMP kernels.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
dayton

 Dayton Clark
 CIS Department                 dayton@brooklyn.cuny.edu
 Brooklyn College/CUNY          1-718-951-4811
 Brooklyn, New York  11210      1-718-951-4842 (fax)