Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 10:59:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        paul@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: scsi problem solved

> Well, the scsi tape problem's fixed.
>
> It did turn out to be that the tape wouldn't handle sync. Thanks for the
> pointer Rod, maybe it should go in a FAQ somewhere.
>
> The reason it suddenly broke was someone borrowed the DAT and it came
> back on a different scsi id and sync was enabled for that id and not
> what I originally had it on.

Humm, this really suprizes me as the usually symptom of a device that
does not understand sync when probed by the 1542 bios is a scsi bus
lockup during POST in the 1542 bios.  You rarely get to where you
can boot the system, and I have never seen it actually transfer data
when this is the cause of the problem.

Really really strange, I am going to have to remeber this one!!  Can
you enlightenme with some details about which model of the 1542 you
have (B/C/CF) and just what model dat drive this is (dmesg output
would probably do for both since I think we now print the 1542 board
id info, but maybe that is only for boot -v.