Date:      Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:56:44 -0500
From:      Matthew Hagerty <matthew@digitalstratum.com>
To:        Dominic Marks <dom@goodforbusiness.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running a shell script on becoming the CARP master?

Dominic Marks wrote:

>On Saturday 26 November 2005 15:14, Matthew Hagerty wrote:
>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>Are there any hooks into CARP to run a shell script when a machine
>>becomes the master?  Also, is there a way to force a machine to become
>>the master without powering off the current master (for example to do
>>maintenance on the current master)?
>>

>I believe there was supposed to be a utility for this sort of thing
>but I haven't seen or heard anything about it. In the mean time a
>program which read the data could probably be built from the ifconfig
>code quite simply. It would be really nice if there were kevent
>notifications for CARP events.
>

>>Thanks,
>>Matthew

I was looking at the ifconfig output and it certainly could be parsed
for the CARP status I suppose, but it just seemed a little crude and I
wanted to make sure I was not missing something more obvious.  Do you
know if the CARP interface is up, available, and stable by the time
/usr/local/etc/rc.d scripts are run?

Thanks,
Matthew