Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:50:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jacob Ritorto <jritorto@fore.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   integrating FreeBSD into an old Sun net..

Hi,
	As Sun's workstation quality drops
shamefully and commodity PC parts seem to be
getting better, I've been tasked with integrating
things like FreeBSD and Linux into our development
and test environments here.  We're still mostly
Sun-based and must continue to support old BSD Sun
systems, hence the need to stay with the old yp
(not NIS+) and v2 nfs, etc.  The sticking point
for me is the automounter.  The Linux setup seems
to integrate easily into our environment and home
directories show up where they're expected, but I
can't seem to pull it off with FreeBSD as user
directories aren't showing up where the yp maps
tell them to.  I.E. you have to cd to
/host/netapp/home/{user} to get to home
directories in FreeBSD, whereas with the normal
Sun and Linux stuff, things show up in /us/{user}
as expected by yp.  I followed the instructions in
the FreeBSD handbook for this yp and amd stuff,
read man pages, etc, and had success with the yp
part, but can't get amd right and have now spent
too much time.  So basically my adoption of
FreeBSD is threatened..  I can provide more detail
if you contact me.  Please advise.  Here's an
example passwd map entry:

rnedved:{censored}:4529:211:Rudy Nedved:/us/rnedved:/bin/csh

unfortunately, his home directory isn't
automounted and so he's at root upon login and
must cd to /host/{netapp}/home/rnedved to see
files on FreeBSD.

thanks in advance.

Jacob Ritorto