Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:51:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Steven Lake <raiden@shell.core.com>
Subject:   Re: Strange networking problems

        5x5 is an old term for all is fine.  DNS seems to be coming up
fine.  I did get two interesting errors along the way though while playing
with this.  Since it's on a private IP lan (192.168.x.x) it does have to
go through a nat router to a DSL connection then to the main office.
Thing is it's worked fine with this setup since I initially setup this
server at our remote office.  I've been playing with the router, even
bounced it twice and cleared a reserved DHCP listing for the original nic.

        Now, here's something that's also interesting.  Got my hands on a
realteck nic and stuck that in, same problems.  Did another reinstall and
the downloads were awesome.  Took some time logging into the ftp server,
but once connected, data transfer was fast.  It's the initial external
connects that seem to be failing.  Hence why it's evidently not setting up
the hostname when starting up and having trouble starting sshd and
sendmail.

        Now, here's the other error I ran into.  When switching between
the two kingston cards the router still handed out the same DHCP address
to the two nics, regardless if both had different mac addresses and the IP
was reserved.  I also tried both separately.

        I was kinda suspect of the router, especially when it failed to do
DHCP correctly.  However after bouncing it twice it still was doing it,
but my windows boxes pull data and DHCP info just fine.  So I know it's
not the router.  Again, I cleared the DHCP tables, so those are back to
normal.