Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 17:20:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/23978: NEW PORT: security/amavis-perl

The following reply was made to PR ports/23978; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To: Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>,
	<FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 03:11:31 +0200 (IST)

 On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

 > On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 03:00:15AM +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
 > > > RUN_DEPENDS=    ${BUILD_DEPENDS}
 > > It doesn't work as expected for some weird reason, so please keep it.
 >
 > Really?  I'll have to check that out.
 Yes, really, it only says that it depends on uvscan" when building - it's
 the first line in the depends list.

 > > Alright, uncomment it then. I guess pkg-message warning isn't enough.
 > > I know that some people use it, I tested it, but I'm afraid of the damage
 > > it _may_ (or may not) cause in production systems.
 >
 > Uncomment != remove.  It is already uncommented.
 No, it's commented. I forgot to remove the comment mark before submitting.

 > > As I said, I think it's better to use Makefile.inc which is created by
 > > PRE-CONFIGURE argument for pkg-install.
 > > Or, I'll need to pass it as an enviromental variable if I do it this way.
 > > btw, this is what billf advised, but it's not as simple as it sounds.
 > > Ah, keep in mind that RUN_DEPENDS and BUILD_DEPENDS whould be modified as
 > > well.
 >
 > Sure.  *_DEPENDS can be modified in the .if conditionals.  Screw
 > portlint, if it keeps the Makefile sane.
 Yeah, that' my point. I know that it can be modified. :)

 > > As (if) you've seen, my patches are "dynamic" - e.g. made in the form of a
 > > perl script with simple regex, so virtiually any sendmail.cf from any
 > > version can be "patched".
 > > I'll have to learn exim, qmail and postfix to some degree (I know them
 > > already, but it's not enough), so I'll be able to figure out right
 > > regexps.
 >
 > You mean there's nothing in the amavis docs that explain how to do this?
 > You don't have to do this job in the port.  You can point users at a doc
 > (say in ${PREFIX}/share/doc/amavis/howto-${MTA}.html or similar).
 > Modifying non-${PREFIX} files is a no-no.
 Yes, there's, but I cannot blindly follow what they write. For example,
 for sendmail, what they wrote was not true. I had to contact gshapiro to
 figure out the "right" way of doing it. It was the F=S btw.

 > > I'm pretty sure about it.
 > > If it's possible, please commit it this way. I'll do some work about this
 > > issue later, and I know that people are waiting to use amavis already.
 >
 > You got it.  I'll review and commit soon.
 ok, thanks.
 I'm on EFnet #freebsd meanwhile.

 --Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
 [ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]