Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 03:02:59 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading program

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:46:02 -0400, Rick Knebel wrote:

> If you have a program say kde and you see a newer port available, can you
> just install it over the older version or do you have to uninstall the older
> version first.

For many programs, you can get away with installing over the older
version. Sometimes, though, you can get bitten pretty badly by stale
files.

/etc/make.conf provides a knob that allows you to force package
registration, even when older versions of the same package exist.

I must admit though, that since you're quite new to the system, it's
probably worth your while using pkg_delete to remove existing stuff
before you install newer versions.

Be careful with the KDE stuff. Any time you see changes, give it a
couple of days before using the newer version. If, after a few days,
there've been no more changes to the KDE goodies, then it's probably
working okay for at least one other person out there. ;-)

Later,
Sheldon.