Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2014 17:40:27 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd@jonathanprice.org
Subject:   Re: Should I be using ipv6_activate_all_interfaces or ip6addrctl_policy="ipv6_prefer"

--nextPart17931494.YGa4yGzs8L

On Tuesday 26 August 2014 10:40:27 freebsd@jonathanprice.org wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I am configuring a server with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and have notic=
ed that
> FreeBSD seems to be preferring IPv4, such as when establishing SSH
> connections.
>=20
> After reading through /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and later /etc/rc.d/ip6a=
ddrctl
> I have come to the conclusion that I have two ways to tell FreeBSD to=

> prefer IPv6:
>=20
> 1) Add ipv6_activate_all_interfaces to /etc/rc.conf
> 2) Add ip6addrctl_policy=3D"ipv6_prefer" to /etc/rc.conf
>=20
> Could anybody with a little more knowledge on the matter explain to m=
e which
> of the two options is more preferential?

They both do different things.

The activate knob is to enable ipv6 on an interface.  To oversimplify i=
t, if=20
you configure an address on an interface, it is "enabled".  However, th=
is=20
switch enables this on all the rest of the interfaces, even the ones yo=
u=20
didn't configure.

ip6addrctl* affects things like hostname lookups to sort the addresses =
returned=20
to the caller.

They are different things entirely.  I think you are expecting the beha=
vior=20
that ip6_prefer policy gives you.  That's what we use in the freebsd.or=
g=20
cluster to have it use ipv6 where possible.

=2D-=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI=
6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' or ... just won\342\200\231t do\342\200\246