Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:37:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ida(4) driver: Compaq Smart Array users wanted.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> "show controller" (above) and "show logical" work without a hitch, but
> "show physical" displays about 30 lines like this:
>
> 	ida0: soft error

This isn't a problem; the driver doesn't know that some commands return an
error status when they can't operate on the supplied parameters.

> I don't have a "failed" drive, but removing and inserting one drive of
> a RAID 1 logical drive mostly worked okay.  After removing it, the
> kernel kept spewing "ida0: soft write error", but these seemed to be
> harmless, and inserting the drive back in correctly put the logical
> drive in a reviving state.

The 'soft write error' is just the controllers way of informing you that
its writing to a degraded volume.  In an ideal world the driver would trap
these soft error messages, rate limit them, and actually look up which
drive in the volume was bad and occasionally print an informative error
message with that info.

--
10 40 80 C0 00 FF FF FF FF C0 00 00 00 00 10 AA AA 03 00 00 00 08 00