Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 23:40:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thread scheduling

In scheduling multiple threads on a FreeBSD SMP system, is it just
important that if a thread asks for multiple processors, then it can
contend for multiple processors, or is it in any way important that these
multiple instances of execution from the same memory space actually occur
at the same point in time.

That is, is it important at all that all processors be doing the same
multithreading task (if it's multithreaded, and wants it) at exactly the
same time?  The alternative would give it a multiple of the execution
time, but not be constrained at all to make those execution windows
overlap in time.

It's going to make a difference in scheduling and how the multiple kernel
side of threading is handled, and I'm thinking about that now.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)