Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:45:59 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mr Dandy <oleg.ginzburg@nevosoft.ru>
Cc:        Svyatoslav Lempert <svyatoslav.lempert@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

Mr Dandy wrote:
> May be more correctly set PHP 5.4 by default to lang/php5, and repocopy
> current lang/php5 into lang/php53?
>
> Probably current maintainer of php (@ale) has the plan ;)

I've already created patches to update the current php5 port to 5.4. I'm
waiting for fixes to other main php-related ports and the end of ports
freeze to make them public and then commit them.
I'm tired to listen at every PHP release that we should not update
because everything broke (and on the other side people asking me when
the port will be update, because it has incredible new features).
Updating php port is a big task and will be done with the correct
timing. Functions removed in php5.4 have been deprecated 10 year ago, if
you still rely on them after more than 2 years PHP 5.3.0 has been
released, then probably you should stick to lang/php52 port, or find a
maintainer and a committer willing to create and maintain lang/php53.

--
Alex Dupre