Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:39:49 +0100
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hosting more than one website on a cable connection (DHCP)...  and using BIND

> However, I don't know how to distinguish more than one domain name
> when using only one IP address.
Domains are controled by their zonefiles in bind.conf
The (separate) zonefiles contain the ip# of the zone. There is no reason
you can't give blah.cx and blahbla.nt the same ip. As long as you
provide the same nameserver IP for all domains you want to host ;-))

> Also, is it possible for the home DNS and the third party DNS's to
> work in tandem?

That I don't know. I have four real domains myself. One is hosted by an
ISP, the other three I host at home. nagual.st ; nagual.cx and
lothlorien.cx all point to the same ip# The rest is handled by the
dnsserver at home wich is authorative for all three domains and their
subs. I found a friend who was willing to host two other dns servers as
slaves.

> Does any of this make sense?

Sure. It runs like hell (or heaven, as you prefer ;-)

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.7 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)