Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 16:08:58 +0100
From:      "Jeff Rollin" <jeff.rollin@gmail.com>
To:        "Beech Rintoul" <beech@alaskaparadise.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD Logo

I'm going to put my 2 cents (or at the current conversion rate, 1 (British)
penny!) in here, I think.

I consider myself a new FreeBSD user. I have used it before (around 4.8),
but never really did much with it. I find that I don't very often dual boot
OSes, so I've had nothing but Gentoo on my desktop till now. I finally
decided to put FreeBSD 6.0 on my laptop, alongside SuSE, and give it a try.

I don't expect to have a "vote" on whether the FreeBSD logo is any good or
not. But I can still express an opinion.

I'm here to tell you that Beastie has recognition from outside the communit=
as well. That's what logos are for. We in the BSD community, new members as
well as old, know who we are. As I said, I did not vote on the new logo
business, but if I did, I would have said no.

 Why didn't I? Well it wasn't because I agreed with it, or because I didn't
know about it. I simply didn't consider that I had a right to vote, given
that at the time I wasn't even using FreeBSD. People can, and do, use the
FreeBSD logo to spread awareness of the OS. That is a good thing. I take th=
view FreeBSD is intimately connected with Beastie. If the "corporate" and
"religious fundie" arguments hold water, then why is Beastie still the
FreeBSD mascot?

I disagreed because, apart from not seeing the point of pandering to a few
religious fundies (and those among you who object to such a characterisatio=
should know that I consider myself pretty religious, too, just not a
fundie), as I said, Beastie has brand recognition. Sometimes, it's true, yo=
just HAVE to bite the bullet and get a new brand, but there's no point doin=
it unless its absolutely necessary. I can't remember the last time I saw a
different version of the IBM logo except on sites about IBM history. Why?
Because people recognize it. It has the advantage of not being too closely
identified with a particular era, of course, but so does Beastie. For
another example of the same, I believe SONY will suffice.

For a few years I've had THE DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF THE 4.4BSD O.S. I=
has Beastie on the cover. I'd be more concerned about looking like a geek i=
synagogue if someone caught me there with it, than a Satanist.

I think I'm justified in saying that Linux distributions are more widely
accepted than probably all the BSD's put together, certainly in terms of
brand recognition amongst the wider public. Having a penguin as the logo
doesn't seem to have hurt, even when you consider that (for whatever
reason), the root of Linus's fondness for penguins comes from being bitten
by one.

When ST:TOS came out, the production co. wanted to drop Spock because they
thought his appearance was too "devilish", despite the fact that in the
first (pilot) episode, he *even smiled*. Needless to say, Roddenberry (sp?)
stuck to his guns and today Spock is one of the best-loved ST characters,
known even outside the Star Trek fan community. I'm sure a few religious
fundies still probably object to him (have they found a passage in Leviticu=
implying "God hates aliens/logic" yet?).

My question to you is this: Who amongst the fanbase, the wider public, or a=
Paramount gives a damn?

Turned into more like my 2 pounds, but there we go.

Yours,

Jeff.