Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 11:42:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@legarto.minn.net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers

> Mike Pritchard stands accused of saying:
> > Since a lot of potential new FreeBSD users probably are using PPP/SLIP
> > through some type of ISP, the GENERIC configuration file should contain
> > PPP by default.  If we need a smaller kernel for the boot floppy, then
> > there should be a "BOOTFLP" configuration instead.  The installation
> > should start with the BOOTFLP kernel, but one of the loaded distributions
> > (bindist? or whatever) should provide a more fully configured kernel.
> > E.g. the GENERIC kernel.  This should be done for 2.1.
>
> The PPP faq should actually mention the user-mode PPP and the tun0 device
> which is obviously still in the bootfloppy kernel.
>
> IMHO this is _much_ easier to use from my (limited) exposure than pppd
> for the 'average user'.

True, but we have people coming from 2.0, which didn't have the
user-mode PPP.  So if they already setup PPP, it was the kernel-mode
PPP.  Someone who actually runs the user-mode stuff should write up
something to be added to the PPP FAQ.

When I got my kernel-mode PPP link working a couple of weeks back,
I didn't run across any real gotchas or anything that I could see
causing headaches for the "average user".  I think that all of
the problems I had involved installing a new modem at the same
time.

Has anyone compared the two?  Is one faster/less overhead/whatever?
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@legarto.minn.net