Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:53:28 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Frank E. Terhaar-Yonkers" <fty@mcnc.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ijppp wedges system on -stable

> I track -stable very closely.  Lately I've had several system freezes
> when running ijppp.  This happens when the phone lines are especially
> bad and I have to kill ijppp and restart it.  Can't do anything except
> hit the reset button.  (Can't get to the debugger)

I'm running an older -stable at home, but with a brand-new kernel and a
slightly modified ppp to do 'ddial' mode (never give up and always
re-dial when the line goes down).

It hasn't locked up my system, but ppp dies alot when it can't
re-connect the line.  I have core dumps all over the place, but
unfortunately I haven't been able to debug the problem.

Are you *sure* the entire system is frozen up?  On my box, I've got a
getty setup to run on my outgoing ppp line, so when ppp dies I can dial
in and re-start it remotely.  It works great.

> System is an old ISA (no name), dx2-66, 16MB, SCSI, 16550 uarts,
> USR 28.8 (with upgraded firmware).

This sounds like the same thing as my box, although I'm not running with
an updated firmware on my USR 28.8. :(

> BTW - I tried running regular PPP a while back but it seemed very broken.
> I could establish a connection but almost no TCP traffic would get through.
> Pings worked fine.

That sounds like both ends aren't agreeing on compression.  Try playing
with /etc/ppp/options.

Because user-mode ppp isn't as robust as the simple script I'm using now

#!/bin/sh
#
# Re-dial when the lines goes down
# -detach is necessary since the script wants to know when the pppd
# process exits so it can re-try the connection
#
while ( 1 ); do
   pppd connection 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat' -detach cuaa0 115200
   sleep 15
   done

Nate