Date:      Tue, 21 Feb 95 00:24 CST
From:      krnlhkr@mcs.com
To:        rdabney@lanl.gov (R. N. Dabney), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0 install probs

<---- Begin Included Message ---->

  I've been attempting to install 2.0 on a SCSI drive attached to a Future
Domain 950 (yeah, yeah, I know they suck, but it is the only supported ctlr
I have). When I write the MBR in FDISK, I get a dialog box "Invalid
Argument" and at the bottom of the screen "Disk doesn't have MBR",
"writedisklabel: MSP with no BSD part". The geometry reported by the startup
probe is 2405 cyls, 6 hds, 72 secs and 507 MB. I tried changing the geometry
in FDISK to 32 secs, 64 hds and 507 cyls. The SCSI drive is the second
drive, the first is a IDE which I was able to FDISK  and LABEL but with a
really small slice. I can write a boot record to the SCSI (I suppose, no
complaints). Any pointers would be appreciated.

<---- End Included Message ---->

I'm a bit confused on which drive you are trying to write the MBR to,
so I will assume this:
1) Your first drive (C: in DOS terms) is the IDE.
2) Your second drive (D:) is the SCSI.
3) You have been trying to write an MBR to the SCSI drive.

The MBR - Master Boot Record - is only written to (or needs only
to be written to) the first disk.  The BSD MBR will allow you
to boot from the SCSI drive since it loads off the first disk, but
lets you pick which disk to boot from.

The partition tables are written to both disks.

If you can write the MBR to the first (IDE) disk and partition and
label both disks successfully, you shouldn't have a problem.

-Louis

Louis J. Giliberto, Jr.    !  Support the Free Software Foundation
krnlhkr@mcs.com            !