Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:57:05 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Swap on zvol - recommendable?

Hi, all,

is it possible to make a definite statement about swap on zvols?

I found some older discussions about a resource starvation
scenario when ZFS arc would be the cause of the system
running out of memory, trying to swap, yet the ZFS would
not be accessible until some memory was freed - leading to
a deadlock.

Is this still the case with RELENG_8? The various Root on
ZFS guides mention both choices (decicated or gmirror
partition vs. zvol), yet don't say anything about the respective
merits or risks. I am aware of the fact that I cannot dump to
a raidz2 zvol ...

Thanks for any hints,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=FCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285