Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 02:25:44 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mail-LDAP integration and LDAP support on FreeBSD in general ?

In addition to FBSD machines, we have several Sunboxes ;
on these, we run Netscape mail server as opposed to sendmail.
I don't like NS mail server but  there is one good thing -
the ability to use LDAP records for managing and maintaining
users. This has the following advantages :
- I have only to update users on the LDAP server and all
  my other machines in the application environment will be updated.
  (that includes news/mail/web servers and NT servers which can be
  synchronised)
- Transfering/backing up user data is simple and cross platform...
  export an LDIF file and import it into the new LDAP server.
- There is no need for mail users to even have an account on
  server. (good for security).

Since I am moving more and more towards FreeBSD, is there any
support for such total user administration via LDAP ?
There is slapd (an LDAP server for unix) but the applications
(eg. sendmail) are unable to integrate with it.
Wouldn't this be particularly appealing to ISPs with their
multiple systems ?

Any pointers to future developments with LDAP on FreeBSD
would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you very much,

chas