Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:38:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * I know that tcl is part of the main system now.  I wish either tk was too,
>  * or else that neither tcl nor tk were.  I don't really care which.
>  *
>  * Am I alone in this?  If so, I won't bring it up again.
>
> Probably not.  However, there is no way tk is going into the base
> system, as it requires X.  If you ever tried building the XFree86
> port, you'll know why ("make World" takes longer than "make world"!).
>
> As for tcl, I wish it weren't there either, but it is already in the
> base system and so are many scripts writting in tcl.
>
> Besides, you brought this up in the wrong list.  -ports can't make
> decisions like this. ;)

Well, I was thinking about all the stuff done to allow different versions
of tcl and tk to coexist.  In my opinion, they break the method that
tcl/tk uses to determine things itself.

I agree, tk wouldn't be added.  I'd be happy yanking tcl out of the
sources.  I guess I just didn't want to crosspost on this, yet.  I might
bring it up on hackers, later.  I don't think there are any scripts in tcl
that couldn't be in perl.

> Satoshi

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |