Date:      Sun, 09 Feb 2003 20:03:24 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Our lemming-syncer caught in the act.

I have suspected our syncer of being subobtimal for some time, based
simply on my perception of the disk-light on my laptop and the
dynamics of the "dirty" counter in systat.

I played with the new GEOM I/O statistics stuff and guess what: I
caught it in the act:

	http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/disk.png

Green is the number of unfinished requests.

Most of the red "impulse" represents one request finishing after
as many milliseconds as it is tall.   The remainder of the impulses
cover more than one request, the height is then the average of the
time it has taken to service them.

An image is worth a thousand words, but in this case it only
says three words:  "Man, that sucks!".

Poul-Henning