Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:20:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Henry Miller <hank@black-hole.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial port/modem problems

I'm using FreeBSD 3.1 (cvsuped RELENG_3 a day or two after release), on a
SMP PR440FX motherboard.

I'm trying to move my USR courier internal modem from a 386 to this
machine.  The modem doesn't connect, and I suspect it is something in my
freeBSD configuration, but don't know where to look.

If I set the following line in /etc/remotes:
cuaa1:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br=115200

then:
tip cuaa1
AT
OK
ATDT1234567

Here the modem picks up the phone, I hear a dial tone, but it never dials.

If I do
ATDP1234567
The modem will pulse dial, and the other end will pick up and I hear it
sent, but I don't hear my modem respond.

I don't know where to look from here.  ideas?

Orginially I copied a working pppd configuration from the 386 (a linux
machine, the relavent lines were changed, but as little as possibal) and
the same thing happened.  I'm back to the 386, but it is slow.

--
      http://www.black-hole.com/users/henrymiller/
      hank@black-hole.com