Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:06:25 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall change comments request

Antoine.Beaupre> For example, since alternate setups are sourced using
Antoine.Beaupre> "ipfw" instead of the shell, you do not have access to
Antoine.Beaupre> valuable variables and conditionals, being limited to
Antoine.Beaupre> ipfw' syntax.

Antoine.Beaupre> I use conditionals and variables to make the config file
Antoine.Beaupre> more readable.

Antoine.Beaupre> I think that having a flat ipfw source file is unpractical
Antoine.Beaupre> and hard to maintain.

Why not just set firewall_script in your /etc/rc.conf?

firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall" # Which script to run to set up the firewall