Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 01:27:28 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   -STABLE isn't stable - SCSI *and* Ethernet ...

Wow...what a mistake this past couple of days have been...the other day,
figuring that after ~3months, it might be time to re-sync with -STABLE,
figuring that, by its very name, this should be a safe thing to do...

...what a rude awakening I've had :(

First off, the xl driver has recently been broken...Bill Paul has so far
produced two patches in an attempt to fix them, but...its -STABLE...why
should it have broken in the first place?  The breakage, which has been
reported by one other who tried a similar upgrade, is that after a random
period of time, the ethernet's go completely dead and require a reboot to
fix :(  Bill's latest fix has been reported as "hanging the machine on
boot"...

5 minutes ago, I had a new joy:

Apr 19 23:34:50 hub /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 73235
(sendmail)
Apr 19 23:34:50 hub /kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pagein failed; blkno
520, size 4096, error 6

And my /home directory just totally disappeared...I just rebooted back up
into my old kernel, and all drives fsck'd fine, and so far, no problems...

These are the kinds of things I expect on my home machine, running
4.0-CURRENT...not my production machine running 3.1-STABLE :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org