Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:24:21 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Nick Pasich <nick@NickAndBarb.net>, aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Cc:        Fabrice Streicher <fabrice.streicher@wanadoo.fr>
Subject:   Re: Attempting to queue an ABORT message - 3rd Post

>  Hi,
>
>  This is my 3rd post.... The only answer I've received is from
>  Fabrice Streicher who is having the same problem with no
>  resolve.......
>
>  This is now happening every morning......
>
>  I have an adaptec 29160 with 5 drives running on Linux 2.4.25.
>
>  I do an rysnc backup from Disk ID:0 to Disk ID:2
>  and from Disk ID:1 to Disk ID:3 every morning.
>
>  As of late I've been getting "ABORT" messages in the kernel log.
>
>  Just wondering what this message is telling me and if the drive
>  is at fault.  The rsync backup always completes without any
>  problems.

>From the log, it appears that this disk:

>  Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
>    Vendor: IBM      Model: DGHS09U          Rev: 03E0
>    Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03

is losing a command while under high load.  I'm not familiar with
this model or its potential firmware quirks, but this is likely a case
of a drive that just can't deal with a high tag depth.  You should
contact Hitachi (they bought IBM's HD division) to find out if newer
firmware is available for this mode.  In the mean time, you might
try running with a lower queue depth.  You can find out about how
to limit the queue depth from "README.aic7xxx" in drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.

--
Justin