Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:14:48 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>, ruby@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ruby 1.9 as default

On 7-6-2012 21:36, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 20:58:43 +0200
> Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net> mentioned:
>

>> Given issues described with swig 1.x earlier on this list, you may want
>> to investigate if swig 1.x should be removed/patched/whatever before
>> this sweep.
>
> Swig 1.x actually works fine with ruby 1.9, I'm using it quite regularly.
> SWIG just generate the C source, it does not provide you with include
> path.  It is a responsibility of the application to find out what the
> correct path are.
>
> You can look at my m4 macro as an example of how to do it properly:
> https://github.com/stass/autoconf-macros/blob/master/ax_ruby_ext.m4

Point being, that:
a) /usr/local/bin/ruby does not exist and apparently there are some
ports that expect it
b) if you symlink /usr/local/bin/ruby19 to ruby, that things still don't
work for a port

I don't think a package that is as widely used as gdal uses broken
makefiles, so either:
- these are issues with swig as they generate the makefiles (this was my
assumption, but your mail tells me it is incorrect)
- there are ways used in the wild to obtain ruby build information that
no longer work:

gmake -f RubyMakefile.mk build
-e:1: Use RbConfig instead of obsolete and deprecated Config

--
Mel