Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:57:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Albert Chen <chen6178@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Interrupt timeouts (was: **URGENT** Hardware problem?!)

On Wednesday, 27 January 1999 at  8:59:16 -0800, Albert Chen wrote:
> Hi, FreeBSDers,
>
> I'm trying to use CDROM to install FreeBSD 2.2.8-REL on
> my best friend's machine. After selecting packages I wanna install,
> the screen displays this message:
>
> Doing newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rwd0s2a
>
> then the machie halts.

This looks more like a hang to me.  It's waiting for a response from
the disk.

> I tried so many times, still the same :(
> FreeBSD works fine while booting, though.
> So I use my machine to install, everything's fine, and then I put
> his HD on his machine. I see weird messages while booting:
>
> wd0: interrupt timeout
> wd0: status 58<rdy, seekdone, drq> error 0

And this is confirming that it's not getting the response.

> I login and type password, doing some commands, such as ls, df,
> then his machine shows "Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode"
> , and it reboots automatically, I don't know what's going on,
> would anyone tell me how to solve this issue, thank you very much!

This could be a consequence of the previous problem, or it could
indicate memory problems--possibly a BIOS setting.

> P.S. Because I have persuaded him to install FreeBSD :)
>      But now I encounter this issue, if I can't solve it,
>      he says he will probably never consider install FreeBSD :(

My sympathies.  FWIW, this happened to me a while back, pretty much
the same situation: I ended up having to install on another machine
and then transfer the disk.  I only had limited time, and I only got
it sort of working; I couldn't get it to boot directly, so we used the
boot diskette to boot.

I think the problem is either defective hardware (motherboard), or
incorrect settings.  It's quite possible that the hardware is broken
by design, though it's becoming less common.  All motherboard
manufacturers check their boards against Microsoft, so they normally
don't have any bugs which affect Microsoft, but other bugs may affect
FreeBSD, and unfortunately not many manufacturers check against
FreeBSD.

I note the status says <rdy, seekdone, drq>, indicating a DMA request
active.  2.2.8 doesn't support DMA, so maybe you'll be lucky if you go
into the BIOS menu and disable DMA (if this is possible).  Another
alternative would be to install FreeBSD 3.0 and enable DMA there.

Greg