Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 14:26:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

[Jeremy Lea]
> A little thought says the primary weakness is that root@foo.bar's secret key
> must be available to it in some open form, along with admin@bar's at various
> times in the Java applet, and if they can be stolen then you have a hole.
> But this is a known attack on PGP (and family), and if you are having this
> kind of data snooped then you have probably already lost the battle.

I dislike this part of it intensely, because PGP keys are usually more
permanent entities than passwords.  A malicious Java applet could get
hold of my key, and probably also the rest of my files (given that it
had access to get at the key).  Mike are creating an infrastructure
that hopefully will make many people create modules, thus making this
a glaring hole.

I'd much rather send my root password (over SSL) - that way, I can at
least use S/Key.

However, if we're going to use Java anyway, there are lots of crypto
we could use - but will this be the easiest way of implementing the
interface?

Eivind.