Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 05:22:07 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dynamic Linking on FreeBSD 2.2.5 & AIX 3.2.5

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to ask if FreeBSD 2.2.5 supports "dynamic linking" of
libraries into a program at the time it is run (rather than the linker
combining the objects and libraries into a loadable module when the program
is compiled) ?

(MS may call this facility Dynamic Link Libraries; one OS reference
(Dietel) calls it Dynamic Loading.)

If it doesn't, how does one escape re-compiling everything when a core
library such as libc or libresolv is replaced, when one moves for example.
from Bind-4 to Bind-8 ?

I'm sorry to be so ignorant about this but I haven't seen any mention of
these matters in the Sys Admin references suggested by the handbooks
bibliography (Fraesch, Nemeth et al).

How do commercial Unixes (such as AIX 3.2.5) deal with this ? While I'm
always comfortable re-installing FreeBSD, AIX is another matter.

Thank you very much,

Yours sincerely

S Hopcroft