Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 1997 23:53:17 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mixed results w/ WinCast/TV

>From The Desk Of Doug White :
> 1.  dtv complains it requires a "full color display."  Ok, have to drop a
> screensize to 800x600x24bits or 800x600x32bits but that's workable. I
> usually run 1024x768x16bits.

Try running the X server with 15bits.

> 2.  With tv, I get a red box covering the upper-right 2/3 of the display,
> and the following kernel message:
>
> bktr0: ioctl: tsleep error 35 10000a8

I will loook into this over here since I have a wincast card.

> The address at the end varies, it was 100001c at one point.  Pressing any
> key kills tv with an X error.  On 24 bit mode, the red is interlaced with
> screen lines; I can see a black "simple television app" window behind it.
> Obviously the red has no bearing on where the app window is.  Also my x
> pointer disappears while tv is running.  The movement picks up (virtual
> screen moves) but no pointer.
>
> 3.  the vic.bktr.gz from rah works fine.  I get snow on "port 1" and
> bluescreen on everything else -- I only have regular TV cable plugged in
> at the moment.  Have to remember to crank the loadlimits all the way down
> so the picture is smooth.  :)  I'll go get the camcorder and see what I
> can see.
>
> 4.  The remote control app doesn't make anything intelligent appear, but
> when I change the channels the snow pattern changes, so we may be on to
> something.  This is viewing the output thru vic on port 1.

Not sure but I think that wincast expects the channels connected
to the cable style input port.

> Hm, this is the exact opposite of what I was expecting...I was expecting
> tv to work and vic not to. :)

> Amancio, you mentioned you had to tweak the driver to work -- could you
> perhaps post the patch so I could try it?

Not sure that you need my driver. The problem with tv is that you may
be using the wrong input port. But I will let you know later on tonite.

> I have this sinking feeling that direct tv may not work because of the
> Mach64.  Maybe I should budget this weekend trying to extract the S3 968
> from the P166 and not crash Win95 in the process...:)

Well, if you have a linear buffer presented to you by the X server then
I should be able to tweak the driver to work for you. The Mach has the
opposite order of RGB pixel values however I should be able to reverse
the pixels in the bt848 driver.

	Cheers,
	Amancio