Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:59:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unixODBC help?

Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru> types:
> hi, there!

Hello,

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > guru$ isql PostgreSQL
> > [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
> >
> > I don't see any sign of an sql.log file around.
> >
> > The eventual goal is to connect with the Applixware Office data
> > application. Being able to verify that some part of it is working
> > would be a nice start.
>
> odbcinst is a bit tricky (was tricky at the time I looked at it)
> basically, you should have two files in /usr/local/etc:
> --- cut here (odbcinst.ini) ---
> [PostgreSQL]
> Description     = PostgreSQL driver
> Driver          = /usr/local/lib/libodbcpsql.so
> Setup           = /usr/local/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
> FileUsage       = 1
> ;Debug          = 1
> --- cut here ---
>
> odbcinst.ini describes which drivers are installed on your system
>
> --- cut here (odbc.ini) ---
> [test]
> Description     = PostgreSQL
> Driver          = PostgreSQL
> Database        = test
> Servername      = localhost
> Readonly        = No
> --- cut here ---
>
> odbc.ini file describe DSNs ("test" in the example above is DSN).
> You can have multiple DSNs pointing to one database.

That's pretty much what I've got. The one real difference is that my
ports go into /usr/opt, not /usr/local. If unixODBC isn't PREFIX
clean, that may break things. But it's not complaining about missing
files.

After running odbcinst several times, I have:

odbcinst.ini:
[PostgreSQL]
Description		= PostgreSQL driver
Driver		= /usr/opt/lib/libodbcpsql.so
Setup		= /usr/opt/lib/libodbcpsqlS.so
Threading		= 2
FileUsage		= 3

odbc.ini:
[PostgreSQL]
Description		= Test to Postgres
Driver		= PostgeSQL
Traced		= Yes
TraceFile		= sql.log
Database		= hotlist
UserName		=
Password		=
Port		= 5432
Protocol		= 6.4
ReadOnly		= No
RowVersioning		= No
ShowSystemTables		= No
ShowOidColumn		= No
FakeOidIndex		= No
ConnSettings		=

And with those, I get the connect failure listed above.

the odbc.ini is also in ~/.odbc.ini, from running odbcinst as me
instead of as root. Turning on the verbose flag, I see:

guru$ isql -v PostgreSQL
[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found, and no default driver specified
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

I notice you've got a "Debug" value commented out. Is there some set
of things I can add to enable more debugging output? Any other
suggestions?

	Thanx,
	<mike