Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:48:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Campbell <scampbel@gvpl.ca>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
Cc:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mit@mitayai.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Virus Scanning Software for FreeBSD

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, James Wyatt wrote:

> I have an eval copy of a product that looks promising: Sohpos antivirus.
>
> 	http://www.sophos.com/products/antivirus/savunix.html
>
> You can use the SAVI (API for virus checking) to scan email according to
> the description at:
>
> 	http://www.sophos.com/products/antivirus/savi/
>
> Their licensing looks fair and the sales person assigned to me has been
> politely helpful and not overly insistant. Everything I've looked at so
> far looks great, but the customer that wanted it has had delays and now
> wants to wait for FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE to install things on their server.
>
> Updates are monthly CDs and urgent updates are available as downloads.
>
> Our intent is to have it go after SMTP, HTTP, and FTP if we can and to
> scan the Samba partitions for file infections. It handles uSoft Office
> products like Word(tm) docs and such.
>
> Best of all, they support FreeBSD so we should support them, right? - Jy@

I can't say enough good things about the Sophos product.  We originally
got it in April '99 and have been successfully stopping viruses ever
since.  It is running on our mail server (currently FreeBSD v4.2R, was
3.0Snap until March 1) and is still available in aout and elf versions.
They have also added archive scanning inside numerous archive types. At
the time it was the only major company to have a FreeBSD version (NAI was
reported to have one but I couldn't track it down).  I wrote my own
script, instead of using Amavis, to work with Sendmail to virus scan.
Another thing that I've set up is an automatic ide (virus identity)
download from Sophos.  You can ask for automatic email notification when
they have written a new ide for a new virus (or variant).  When that
email arrives the new ide file is fetched and put into the sweep (their
virus checking program) directory and used next time it is run (I batch
my email scanning).  Service and support questions have always been
answered quickly and professionally.

We also use it on all our Win95/98/Me/NT machines - they update themselves
from a central server that is upgraded manually each month when the CD
arrives.

Scott E. Campbell
Computer Operations
Greater Victoria Public Library