Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 10:53:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@toplink.net>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
Cc:        Apu <apu@home.spfld.com>, seti <seti@geotec.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FrontPage Extensions Authentication

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:

> From: "Apu" <apu@home.spfld.com>
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, seti wrote:
> >
> > > which all went off without a hitch.  However when using the Frontpage
> > > 98/2000/XP client to access the FP enabled web, it simply does not ask
> me
> > > for any username and password, but instead allows me anonymously to
> > > edit/publish the webpage, from various workstations.  My workaround has
> been
> >
> > You need to AllowOverride AuthConfig so Apache can process the
> > authentication configuration information in the .htaccess files.  (The
> > extensions actually ask for AllowOverride All but you can get away with
> > giving out less to the individual .htaccess files -- you really need more
> > than just AuthConfig but I don't recall exactly.)
> >

> This is the minimum settings that you need to specify in order for the FP
> Exts to function securely on a FP enabled website.
>
> AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit Indexes Options

specifically "AllowOverride Options" is required as frontpage drops
.htaccess files in directories with "Options None"

Sadly "AllowOverride Options" allows users to upload their own cgi's
everywhere just by specifiying "Options ExecCGI" and other nice stuff
you perhaps would not want them to do by themselves.

Because of this we patched apache to allow "Options None" even when
there is no "AllowOverrride Options"

I really don't fancy porting all these patches to make frontpage secure
to apache-2.0 etc...  We would gladly drop frontpage support if there
weren't that many users using it.

Greetings
Christian

--