Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2001 15:22:53 -0600
From:      Brett Bump <bbump@enetis.net>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: loader fixes going into 4.3R ?

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 09:41:46AM +0000, wkb@freebie.demon.nl wrote:
> > Is it possible to get the loader fixes tested in time for MFC to
> > go out with 4.3R ?
>
> Isn't it a little early to be calling for it?  It hasn't sat in -current
> for anytime, and very few people have said they've tested it.  In fact I
> was a little surprised to see it commited to -current w/o a few more
> people piping up saying it worked for them across all the Alpha's we care
> about running on.
>
> > Main test vehicles would be AS4[01]00 and AS1200.
>
> Uh, why?  This is a change that could maybe for some fluke break the
> loader on say the AS200.  IMHO, it needs to be tested on every Alpha
> model we care about.
>
> --
> -- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

I tried both the 3/30 dist floppies and the loader patched kern.flp from
beerfountain on my AS200s and DecServer 3300s.  Both seemed to
boot fine except the kern.flp with the patched loader doesn't shut
down the floppy when going between kern and mfsroot.  This was
the case on both the AS200 and 3300.  Both do boot however.  I
didn't get any further than the install screen since I no longer have
access to a fast pipe to download the iso.

Still get the "Missing address Mark" errors on the 3300s but those
have always been there.

My 2 cents on loader testing FWIW.  I will miss the red install
background. :(

Brett