Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:47:48 +0900
From:      Shoichi Sakane <sakane@kame.net>
To:        guido@gvr.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPsec rekey question (bug in racoon?)

> I am using Ipsec in tunnel mode. Everything works okay. Then I decide
> to flush my SAD entries, on _one_ side of the tunnel.
> Naturally, I see a key exchange going on.
> Afterwards I see that the system on which I flushed the SAD entries does
> have new ones. However the other side of the tunnel is still using
> the old one for its tunnel to me. I would guess that that SAD would be
> replaced as well?

the freebsd's ipsec stack always uses old SA when there are some SAs for
the communication.  so the other side system used old SA even when the one
had new SA.
latest KAME has the flag, net.key.prefered_oldsa, which makes the kernel
to be used new SA or old one.  if the flag is not 0, the kernel uses
new one.