Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 1997 13:26:26 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Rich Winkel <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Permissions problem mounting floppy

> On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Rich Winkel wrote:
>
> > I'm running 2.2.5-STABLE.
> > I can only mount floppies as root.  As a regular user, I get:
> > katy> mount_msdos /dev/fd0 /fd
> > mount_msdos: /dev/fd0: Permission denied
> <snip>
>
> Umm...   AFAIK, that's correct.  You SHOULD only be able to mount floppies
> as root.  Here's a look at my /dev:
> {~} mortis:{107} %ll /dev/ | grep fd0
> brw-r-----   9 root      operator    2,   0 Dec 31 03:19 fd0
> brw-r-----   1 root      operator    2,   4 Dec 31 03:19 fd0.1200
> brw-r-----   1 root      operator    2,   3 Dec 31 03:19 fd0.1440
> brw-r-----   1 root      operator    2,   2 Dec 31 03:19 fd0.1480
> brw-r-----   1 root      operator    2,   1 Dec 31 03:19 fd0.1720
>
> Device files should NEVER be write for world.
> If you really need users other than root and yourself (su) to be able to
> mount floppies, I'd recommend installing sudo from the ports collect, and
> allowing groups of people to sudo mount .....

Better yet (IMHO), "chmod g+w /dev/[r]fd0*" and add the users that need
floppy access to the group "operator". Or make a group "floppy" and
change the group of the floppy devices and add the users to "floppy".

Will mount work for non-root? I don't know. Personally prefer to use
mtools from the ports collection for dealing with DOS floppies. Mtools
does everything mounting might do but it won't allow you to run from
data on the floppy. You have to copy it off the floppy first. A lot
like tar.

Still another option would be to master amd and let it mount the
floppies for you.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net