Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:21:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Shannon -jj Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
Cc:        Dave Glowacki <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>, absinthe@pobox.com, Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using Ant (continued)

Shannon -jj Behrens writes:
> > I think I've given some good reasons why jar files should stay
> > somewhere under the share/ hierarchy, and I don't think anything
> > more can be accomplished by the two of us arguing, so why don't
> > we let the rest of the mailing list weigh in with their opinions?
>
> Considering all the other languages, it seems to me that putting the jar files
> anywhere other than lib/java would violate POLA.

As somebody pointed out, 'share' was originally invented for the
purpose of containing files that can be shared across multiple
machines with different architectures.  If you have a big network
with a heterogeneous mix of hardware and a huge NFS server, you
want to separate out the 'share'-able stuff from the non-shareable
stuff and set up your NFS mounted partitions based on that.

Now that's just a historical perspective.. what we do today is up
to our choosing. Eg., if we want to preserve the historical meaning
then 'share' would be the place... but if we want to put stuff where
people are going to most likely expect and/or want it (POLA), then
*maybe* 'lib' is the right place.. this is the arguing point.

I don't have a strong opinion, and to me there is no 'clear answer',
unless you're asking the question: "How did 'share' originate"?

-Archie