Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 16:45:04 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net>
To:        Fredrik =?iso-8859-1?Q?Carl=E9n?= <baterista_del_muerte@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xterm won't accept changes to .Xdefaults

in message <BAY8-F23Rf3sllNY30k00020994@hotmail.com>, wrote Fredrik
Carl=E9n thusly...

> I even tried "$ xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults" even though I don't know
> what it does...

>From xrdb(1)...

  -load   This  option  indicates  that the input should be loaded as
          the new value of the specified properties, replacing
          whatever  was there  (i.e.   the  old  contents  are
          removed).   This is the default action.
  -merge  This option indicates that the input should be merged and
          lexicographically  sorted  with,  instead of replacing,
          the current contents of the specified properties.

> The strange thing is it all works if I run "$ xrdb ~/.Xdefaults"
> /after/ X and KDE has started up.

Same here.  Here is what i have in my xinitrc (which is executed by,
well, xinit) before i launch any particular programs...

    xrdb -merge ${HOME}/.Xresources &

> The next X-session, I have to run the same command...the changes
> won't become permanent.

Stick a line like above somewhere in your xinitrc, xession, etc.

  - Parv

--=20
A programmer, budding Unix system administrator, and amateur photographer
ISO employment.  Details...

  http://www103.pair.com/parv/work/