Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:31:53 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest bt848 code

Steve Passe:
 |I have identified the basic problem as being that fxtv closes the device
 |and then re-opens it every time the window is moved!.  If you happen
 |to have it open with another client (such as xtvr) at the time you move
 |the window nothing bad happens, as the open routine ends early.  But if
 |no other clients are active the close completes, and the open reinitializes
 |the hardware.  this is where all the tuner values are lost.  so the question
 |why the close/open calls for every re-draw?  (i merely put printf()s in the
 |driver in both open and close to show this behaviour, am about to go look at
 |the fxtv source)

Back before the driver-hang bug-fix, I close/open-cycled the driver for
each capture stop to try and reduce the frequency of the lock-ups.  It
seemed like it helped some.  However, I ripped that hack out last weekend
when the bug was fixed so the last-close-cleanup behavior you describe
won't kick-in anymore.

I'll do some tests later to verify that brightness/contrast/etc. do in fact
keep their values across stops/starts when the driver handle is held open.

Thanks for looking into it.

Randy