Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 01:37:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>, Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A moment in the life of ftp.cdrom.com

On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, David Greenman wrote:

> >What happened to the old motherboard with 192MB of RAM?
>
>    Several things. First, the mix of disk controllers that was in the machine
> would not work with the newer 4GB drives. In fact, they corrupted the contents.
> This forced us to upgrade the controllers, and while I would have prefered
> to have used all Buslogic 946C's, they would *not* cooperate. It was
> impossible, in fact, to get more than one working at the same time. So I tried
> to get the AHA-2940's working in it, and that wouldn't work either - the old
> ASUS motherboard was not PCI 2.0 compliant and wouldn't work with plug-n-play
> cards like the 2940. So we upgraded the motherboard (which was needed anyway
> because the Neptune chipset only works with 2 PCI bus masters) and then found
> that the Buslogics wouldn't work at all. So then I upgraded all of the disk
> controllers to (3) AHA-2940's. This actually worked, but presented other minor
> problems which we've been dealing with since (various bugs in the 2940 driver).
>    Anyway, the new motherboard only supports 4 SIMMs. I've been unable to
> find a Triton based MB that supports more than 4. Switching to some other
> chipset really isn't an option at this point either - we need the memory speed
> advantages of the Triton in order to keep up with all of the load.
>
> -DG

The new Tyan III has 6 SIMM slots and is Triton, however it only supports
128MB.  (I think its a Trition thing, not a simm slot thing)

I've recently heard of a NEW Opti chipset that __supposed__ to be
very good and I __believe__ I read it'll support 512MB.
(  I believe it does EDO, PB, SB and all that stuff :-)  )

/*
 * disclaimer,
 * this is all from my non-parity memory so:
 * I could be completely WRONG on all this sh*t  :-)
 */

Rob Snow                                            Powered by FreeBSD
rsnow@txdirect.net                              http://www.freebsd.org