Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 19:48:30 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), Wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The great crypt reshuffle

> > Hi
> >
> > There has been good discussion over the last couple of days, and this
> > is an attempt to summarise the concensus so far, and turn it into an
> > agreed-upon proposal. Where I have gotten wrong, please gently correct,
> > where I have forgotten please remind etc...
> >
> > 1) The DES library is to move from eBones to secure/lib/libdes.
> >    des.h (the public header for this library) moves from
> >    /usr/include/kerberosIV to /usr/include, and to be updated with
> >    much more recent code from Eric Young, the original author.
>
> Fine, just remeber to add it to the list of places to install header
> files from when doing ``make includes'' in /usr/src.  See target includes:
> in /usr/src/Makefile.

Yehbo. `make beforeinstall' and all that.

> > 2) crypt(3) and friends in libcipher to be replaced with faster code
> >    from same author as libdes, and to merge with libdes. (I know, not
> >    much concensus here - I'm just pushing my luck)
>
> We need to know just what it was that csgr had in mind when he was
> doing all of this.  From the README.FreeBSD in libcipher I get the
> feeling he was going the other way, but evenutally wanted to collapse
> the libraries:
> gndrsh# more README.FreeBSD
> $Id: README.FreeBSD,v 1.1.1.1 1994/09/07 21:18:07 csgr Exp $
>
> This is FreeSec package for NetBSD,  unchanged for
> FreeBSD, except for the Makefile.
>
> The other stuff in libcrypt will be added in stages!
> gndrsh#

I'll contact him personally here. I have his phone No.

> > 4) (Very little discussion here) Other libraries containing crypto
> >    code (ssl, rsa, md4, idea (where legal/appropriate)) be placed in
> >    secure/lib/lib*/ and turned into a separate library. Some of this
> >    code may cause serious trouble for owners in certain countries. (eg
> >    rsa in US.) The public headers for these to be placed in /usr/include
> >    for orthogonality with des.h in 1) above.
>
> I would just rather leave this code by the way side as far as /usr/src
> goes.  We already have enough legal problems with the current set of
> code and I think doing this would open a can of works.  Perhaps making
> a ``port'' collection that installed into /usr/local/lib would be
> a better path to take (pun intended).

I'll buy that for all but ssl. The Secure Sockes Layer has _great_ potential
for thinkgs like secure telnet, secure ftp, secure tftp, secure CTP
(Clay tablet protocol) etc. I've just been reading some stuff on crypto
and licensing int the US and it scares the willies out of me. What is this?
The 4th reich? ;-) :-) :-) :-) No wonder you guys hate lawyers so much.

> > 7) More will follow as I start to work on it (Secure RPC etc).
>
> One thing at a time please... :-) :-)

Please? I want to change it _all_, _now_?!  ;-)

PS - What is a`bug'?                                         ;)`
--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa