Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:37:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it (Riccardo Veraldi)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 screen messed up.

> I changed video board and removed the S3 and replaced with a Matrox
> Millennium II on my AlphaStation 255/233MHz
>
> Now X11 works. I mean it starts...
> the problem is that the screen is completely messed.
> It does not refresh the windows and I have to manually refresh the screen
> all the time. If you open a program like xv the images are not showed
> unless you explicity make a manual refresh or hide the xv windows with an
> other window and then expose it.
> It really is messy and unusable. Anyone had this problem ??
> I am using XFree86 3.3.6 from the standard FreeBSD distribution.

Go into your config, and disable all acceleration.

If this fixes you, enable acceleration one at a time, until it
breaks again; disable that one, and go on to the next, until
you have all non-broken aceleration enabled.

You are probably running a slightly newer chip, and trying to
do it with the older driver (e.g. you aren't running XFree86 4.x).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.