Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:36:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
To:        Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of / partition?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Julio Merino wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:32:36PM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> > Just cvsup'd to stable and I've almost run out of room on /!  How big should
> > I create it when I reinstall as I now don't have enough to do another build.
>
> I allocate 70Mb for / on a 20gb disk and never ran out of space. You may
> have old /modules and/or kernels laying around, as well as files in
> /root. Also check your /tmp (which I mount on its own partition,
> or with mfs!).

On a new machine with a big drive I would recommend people used at least
100MB. In particular I have found that some programs when they crash and
create a core file it may end up filling up "/". On my newer machines at
work with lots of space I made / 1GB, /var 1GB and the rest to /usr. These
are machines where I have much more free space than they will probably
ever need anyway so space wasn't much of an issue.

On a machine which is tighter with space I would suggest still to try and
get 100MB root. Another possible approach may be to leave /var on / and
give / 150MB.

Space ALWAYS comes down to what are you going to do with the machine.
On most instances / is rarelly used. /var can sometimes be a problem if
you have a runaway log which you forgot to add to newsyslog and this is
why many people like to have /var separate from /.