Date:      Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:25:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
To:        "Beeblebrox" <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Current" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unstable kernel (dumbbell) crashes

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 20:04:20 +0200, Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>=20
> I have been away from my FreeBSD system for over 7 months. The first on m=
y return was to update world/kernel then do a full poudriere run for all my=
 packages. The process had many problems; I'm reporting items below as FYI.
> I'm tracking https://github.com/dumbbell/freebsd.git for my Radeon card.
>=20
> 1. installworld ran into same problem as below and I got around it by fol=
lowing the prescription therein: https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebs=
d-testing/2015-September/001094.html
> Reviewing the questions asked in the thread, I find nothing of significan=
ce in my particular case. Thus, still a mystery.
>=20
> 2. The pkgng DB has become buggy & inconsistent. I am preparing to "pkg d=
elete -a" and re-install all from a list after the poudriere run finishes.
>=20
> 3. The newly built kernel keeps crashing and re-booting unpredictably. Th=
e poudriere run seems to have something to do with triggering this.
>=20
> 4. Service dbus still fails to start from /etc/rc.conf (which prevents xo=
rg login) and must be started manually.
>=20
> 5. I built and booted into a DEBUG kernel. The system quickly becomes uns=
table and eventually the simplest commands (ls or cat) take over 60 secs to=
 respond. File containing dmesg output and memory status is attached. Howev=
er, Memory status seems to be a symptom and not a cause.=20
>=20
> Regards.
>=20
> --=20
> FreeBSD_amd64_11-Current_RadeonKMS
> Please CC my email when responding, mail from list is not delivered.

Yesterday I updated most packages from a v11 that had not been updated in m=
any months.  Strange pkg messages
were solved by wholesale deleting of particular mentions in the "pkg upgrad=
e" output and deleting orphaned packages/ports
from the output of "pkg version -vRL=3D  " (or -vIL)" after make fetchindex=
 and portsdb -u...

pkg wanting to remove files I was prepared for by running it all via
script log1 pkg upgrade
script log2 pkg upgrade
until it all was done.
One setback was continually wanting to download tex* (an hour download for =
one package) that I did not want
installed and the manpages are still terse as to how to prevent that.
Not a big concern; that is not my principal BSD machine.=20

All that is sort of aside.

The reason for this reply is I was wondering if an UPDATING entry in /usr/s=
rc=20
at the bottom, under COMMON ITEMS...
could be (something to the
effect that if an installworld fails, one could download a month-old .txz o=
r .tar or something  ) and recover
by in effect rolling back all the system binaries and libraries.   )

That is somewhat easier than...
... the more-difficult
Even better if some script could be crafted ascertaining which files within=
 the system may be at fault.=20

Apologies for not answering anything in the mail above.  I've no recollecti=
on of any answer I could reply to each/any
of the questions...  sort of like a "me too" but only for a troubled instal=
lworld (often) when it builds fine.